A Kind of Trance

It is another idyllic day on Saturna Island. I have just come inside after a relaxing session seated out on the front deck overlooking Lyall Harbor. Chaya prepared a delicious tomato and black bean soup for lunch and so I was well nourished beforehand.

Chaya spent most of the day preparing 2 lasagnas for Bettianne's 85th birthday party tomorrow. She turned 85 yesterday and looked after Dylan and his friend Charlotte all day.  They all went out to East Point with her and her grandson Stanley.

The party will be held a Priscilla's Haggis Farm, just a piece down the road from us. Gord the fiddler who played at my birthday will be there and our friends Dick and Annie Wolenta will also be there. They have just returned from Hawaii where they visited their families and friends.

Dick [who is in his 80s but going strong] reminds me strongly of a young hippie that I met on the train to Winnipeg on my way to attend my father's funeral in 1973. I noticed them get on the train around Calgary if I recall, there were 4 or 5 of young people traveling communally. They were so alive and full of life.

When they got on the train they danced on, their leader [or so he seemed to be to me] holding both arms outstretched and moving to a soundless groove.

Shortly thereafter I met the young man on the train and we talked. I asked him what he was hunting for...and he replied, "I'm not into hunting." They were vegetarians and he invited me to join them in a cup of green tea with cayenne pepper.

As we talked we discovered we had a few things in common and he offered me a book called The Holy Science. It was written by *Paramahansa Yogananda's guru Swami Sri Yukteswar Giri. He was a kriya yogi, a scholar of the Bhagavad Gita and of the bible. His book is a mix of Hinduism and Christianity...a little masterpiece.

* Yogananda wrote the classic Autobiography of a Yogi...which I highly recommend.

The young man  I was talking to reminded me very much of a California hippie surfer in his mid thirties I would have guessed but as I observed him more closely I could see streaks of grey and white hair within the blond. He revealed that he was at least 30 years older than I thought.

When I met Dick on the island last month he reminded me so strongly of that old/young hippie sage but without the long hair. He came over in a baseball cap...even in his mid 80s under his own full head of steam. He doesn't have the look or posture of an old person...very trim.

Chaya is with Dylan today off and about on some errands...she is always busy. Rick says she will be the next mayor of Saturna and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The sky is clear blue today with a field of mottled clouds drifting oh so lazily across it. Just a quick look puts me in a kind of trance. Chaya's wash is blowing on the clothesline...Dylan's bedding for the most part. It is a balmy 19 degrees.

Now I am going to stir Chaya's lasagne sauce as I promised I would...and do our lunch dishes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturna Island Plum Grand Marnier Compote

Music of the Spirit

Saturna Canada Day